Fall accidents are the most common cause of workers’ compensation claims. Fortunately, many of these accidents are actually preventable through proactive management of the workplace environment. If you sustained an injury as a result of a fall accident at work or while performing your job duties, you must begin the process of filing for workers’ compensation benefits as soon as possible. You should also consider seeking skilled legal representation to ensure the process goes smoothly.
Below is a list of some ways in which employers can prevent fall accidents at work:
- Keep walking surfaces clear and clutter-free: Cluttered walkways can obstruct employees, increasing their chances of tripping, falling, and sustaining injuries. Employers should make sure walkways are clean and unobstructed.
- Install proper lighting: Walking in dark or poorly lit environments can increase the risk of falling due to an inability to see. Employers should install proper lighting, especially in stairwells where one might easily miss a step if there is not enough light.
- Signage: If there are potential problem areas in a work environment, such as a gap, step, or uneven ground, signs should be placed to alert employees to these hazardous conditions, so they can be more cautious when in these areas.
- Stairways and handrails: Stairways are notorious for fall accidents. An effective way to help reduce these accidents is to install handrails. The steps could also be marked with reflective tape and, if the steps are carpeted, it is important to ensure they are secured and in good condition.
- Footwear: Employees should be encouraged to wear appropriate footwear to work, preferably shoes with enough traction that can help prevent slip and fall accidents.
- Cords and wires: Cables and cords should be run behind walls or under carpets, so employees do not accidentally trip and fall over them. If possible, power outlets, internet connections, and phone jacks should be installed in easily accessible locations.
- Check floor conditions: Poorly maintained floors can result in fall accidents, especially if there are any cracks or holes. These hazardous problem areas should be repaired immediately or, if it is not possible to fix them in a timely manner, signs should be placed to alert workers to these dangers.
- Clean up spills: Spills happen and, when they do, employers should make sure they are addressed and cleaned up immediately to prevent a serious slip and fall accident. If a spill cannot be promptly cleaned, signs should be placed around it to ensure workers know to avoid those areas.
Fall accidents might not seem serious, but they can actually result in some potentially severe injuries, such as brain injuries, broken bones, and spinal cord injuries. Employers should do what they can to maintain a safe work environment for their employees.
Experienced Workers’ Compensation Attorneys in Orange County
If you sustained a workplace injury due to a fall accident, you are likely going through a difficult time as you recover from your injuries. Luckily, you have a right to pursue workers’ compensation benefits, which can cover your medical bills and a portion of your missed wages. At Alvandi Law Group, P.C., our skilled team of workers’ compensation attorneys is committed to fighting on behalf of injured workers and standing up to the insurance companies. Our team has served Southern California for over 30 years and is backed by a proven track record of success that includes over $300 million recovered for our clients.
You should not have to go through this alone. Trust a team whose practice is 100% dedicated to workers’ compensation cases.
Get started on your workers’ compensation case today and reach out to our law firm at ">(800) 980-6905 to request a free initial case evaluation with one of our knowledgeable and compassionate attorneys.