Skip to Content

Can I Choose my Doctor if I am Injured in a Workplace Accident?


If you are injured on the job, seeking medical attention is a necessary first step. Depending on the severity of your injury, you may be required to visit a doctor (or several different doctors) over an extended period of time.

Seeing a doctor after workplace accident serves a greater purpose than treatment alone. Of course, treatment is the most important reason, but in the midst of a workers’ compensation claim, the input of medical professionals is also essential for gathering evidence and building a case.

The initial phase of filing a workers’ compensation claim will involve some cooperation with your employer and their workers’ compensation insurance provider. A doctor’s expertise is needed on their side as well. In some situations, following the proper workers’ compensation procedures may include visiting a doctor who is designated by your employer.

The designation of your doctor’s visits will depend on the nature of your work injury. In an emergency, your initial treatment will be performed by whatever doctor you have access to at the time, most likely in your local hospital’s emergency room. Any following medical care, if not urgent, will most likely require the treatment of a doctor appointed by your employer and their insurance provider.

This will be the case in most work injury treatment situations. Generally, workers’ compensation policies require that injury victims receive care from an approved doctor. An exception to this rule is in cases of predesignating. Employees may be permitted to predesignate their own doctor as their preferred health care provider in case of a work injury — this will depend on if your employer’s insurance policy allows for predesignating, and should be outlined upon initial review of the company’s workers’ comp procedure.

Do you have questions about your workplace injury case? Contact Alvandi Law Group, P.C. to schedule a free consultation with our team of workers’ compensation attorneys. Send us your information to reach our office or call (800) 980-6905.


Put your case in the hands of attorneys by calling (800) 980-6905 or filling out the form below.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy