Skip to Content

Fast Food Lawsuits

Since the dawn of the fast food industry, consumers have experienced issues with a variety of products and services, from food to advertisements. In the last 20 years, obesity complaints, food poisoning cases, and even discovering human body parts in meals have daunted the public. Although companies still provide affordable food quickly, the debate about the decrease in quality still remains. In 2005 in Australia, seven year old Monica Samaan shared a Kentucky Fried Chickenwrap with her family. Days later the whole family experienced salmonella poisoning. While the rest of her family recovered, Monica suffered dehydration and other symptoms of food poisoning. Soon she was hospitalized and slipped into a coma for months. With a weakened immune system, Monica never fully recovered even after waking from the coma. For more information on salmonella poisoning, click HERE.

Monica now resides in a wheelchair and can no longer speak, struggling to communicate. Her family sued KFC and was granted a settlement of 8 million Australian dollars. Children, like Monica, are less likely to recover from salmonella poisoning especially during the summer months. Salmonella bacterium occurs during the food preparation process and while employees handle food products. Large corporations now strive to prevent other cases of food and salmonella poisoning.

In another example, Taco Bell was under scrutiny for questionable beef products and false advertising according to Fox News. In 2012, studies show that Taco Bell used and sold “seasoned beef products” containing about 35% real meat, while the other 65% were filler products, which are less expensive than meat. Consumers strove to right Taco Bell’s wrong by pleading that the advertisements were misleading and false in order to promote cheaper products. Unsuspecting consumers may be allergic to unknown filler products, and therefore be exposed to life threatening issues. Consumers are fighting for marketing and advertisements to use the term “mixed meat” now that information is readily available. Finally, Taco Bell fails to meet the USDA, or the United States Department of Agriculture, requirements for standards of food available to the public. Consumers now take interest in the ingredient content of their fast food.

The infamous McDonalds also experienced numerous lawsuits pertaining to food quality and service. In 1994, one such case, Liebeck vs. McDonalds, drew massive attention to the McDonald’s corporation and the coffee they serve. Liebeck, an elderly woman, placed a cup of freshly brewed McDonald’s coffee in her lap to add cream and sugar when the hot coffee spilled resulting in third degree burns on her inner thighs and buttocks. Liebeck was rushed to the hospital where she stayed for a week and received skin grafts to help treat her injuries. Liebeck sought legal action and monetary coverage for her medical costs and compensation for her daughter taking time off work to care for her. Liebeck, for her injuries and troubles, was granted $600,000 by the court, but because of her age received less than the disclosed amount. As a result, McDonalds reevaluated their coffee and how their hot beverages are served. Since this incident, McDonalds now serves coffee twenty degrees cooler and warns customers of the potential hot temperatures in attempts to avoid any further lawsuits with similar relations.

Attorneys at Alvandi Law Group can help provide advice for potential clients who feel they have a personal injury case or settlement. Call Alvandi today at (800) 980-6905 or visit his websites for more details.

Share To:


Put your case in the hands of attorneys by calling (800) 980-6905 or filling out the form below.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy